I am amazed how popular Bullet Journaling has gotten over the past year…but actually, not super surprised. It really is the best way I’ve found to keep my life organized and document it at the same time.
I’ve tried many different types of journals, and my favorite is the Leuchttrum1917 A5 dotted journal. The Leuchttrum journal also comes in lined, blank or squared paper…but my favorite is the dotted.
Things I love about the Leuchttrum:
- numbered pages
- bleed-proof (some ghosting though), 80 gsm paper
- 249 pages!
- 2 bookmarks
However, you can use any journal you want…this is just my personal favorite.
THE PENS, HIGHLIGHTERS, & colored pencils
My main journaling pen is the black Sharpie fine tip pen. It’s super smooth, dark and has minimal ghosting. I also use the Faber-Castel PITT pens for daily journaling. This pack is nice because it comes with four different tip widths.
For finer detail (see picture below) I grab my Staedtler .05 mm black pen. It’s tiny enough to fit a LOT of words in a small space – I love it!
My new favorite pen (not shown) is the Tombow Fude Brush Pen, Fudenosuke soft. Don’t let the name scare you (I can’t even pronounce it!), it’s a fabulous pen. I’m still experimenting with it in my daily titles and other random journaling things. You can find a great video on YouTube HERE with this pen. I’m planning on using this pen a lot more when I get a little better with it. 🙂
I don’t use a ton of markers on my pages, but when I do, I use the Zebra midliners. They give my pages a little pop of color, but doesn’t draw too much attention. There are three different packs/colors you can choose from.
Most of the color on my pages is from my Staedler colored pencils. They’re smooth, bright, blend well, and don’t smear. However, once I wear them all down to nubs, I’m going to invest in Prismacolor pencils…I hear they’re even smoother and blend better.
I did splurge a little and bought the Prismacolor pencil sharpener. I used to have the cheapy one from the dollar store, but my pencil tips kept breaking. That doesn’t happen with the Prismacolor sharpener – it’s worth the teeny-tiny monetary investment (it’s only about $7).
The best eraser I’ve found yet – the Papermate black pearl premium eraser … don’t let the “premium” word scare you…they’re not very expensive, but they are premium quality! Sometimes I use a pencil to hand letter or to sketch out a layout (it doesn’t happen often), and this Papermate eraser annihilates the pencil marks. It even erases colored pencil marks (as long as the color marks aren’t too heavy)
other fun stuff
Remember, you really only need a journal and a pen, but you have to admit, other random stuff can be a little fun! 🙂
- I use this cute little ruler a lot; especially in my daily pages and larger calendars.
- Most people write the date free hand, but I really like the look of the date stamp and ink pad. I’ve had this same ink pad since the good old days of scrapbooking (I’m guessing it’s about eight years old!)
- I use washi tape for a variety of things like making little tabs on the sides of my pages (see the photos above) or highlighting something on a page. Remember, you get what you pay for. Washi tape isn’t that expensive. The super-cheap-o brands might be pretty, but some cheap tape doesn’t stick on a journal page well at all.
- I love my gold binder clips. I use them to keep open my journal when I’m writing, to mark my current page, and to make super cute Instagram pics. 🙂 These binder clips are really strong too – definitely not flimsy.
- I also used a US map template on one of my Collection Pages (see below). I only used it once, but was cheap enough that I felt like it was worth it. 🙂
I hope my list of supplies helps you in your journey with Bullet Journaling. Email me if you have any questions or other things you use that I might want to try!
Remember, don’t compare your journal to others and have fun with it!
DISCLOSURE: In order for me to support my blogging activities, I may receive monetary compensation from affiliate links on this blog. It doesn’t cost you anything, and there is no obligation on your part. I promise that I don’t link to anything that I don’t really love! Thank you for your support! 🙂